Website Northern Law LLP
Job title: Summer law student
Location: 10 Elm Street, suite 504, Sudbury, ON P3C 5N3
Start date: late April or early May
Job type: full-time, temporary
Remuneration: $17.00 per hour
Number of positions: 1
Northern Law LLP is hiring two summer law students for summer 2023, with work to commence upon completion of the school year in late April or early May. One of the positions has been filled
with a returning student. We are only accepting applications from students enrolled in an accredited Canadian law school leading to a J.D. or LL.B degree.
The summer law student will be responsible for:
• Researching regulations, laws, and legal articles to assist with the preparation of reports, case files, and legal advice;
• Interpreting laws, rulings, and regulations for individuals and businesses;
• Performing legal research to determine how the facts of a case interact with current law;
• Performing case research by taking depositions, attending site inspections, and engaging in discovery;
• Interviewing clients, witnesses and other related parties to help prepare legal documents;
• Drafting and proofreading correspondence and legal documents, such as briefs, motions, pleadings and contracts;
• Assisting senior counsel in preparing for and attending tribunal, court or other adjudicated hearings;
• Identifying the appropriate laws, judicial decisions, and legal articles relevant to a case;
• Collecting, examining, and organizing evidence and other legal documents for attorney review and case preparation;
• Investigating facts and laws of cases and searching public records and other resources to prepare cases and determine causes of action;
• Gathering and analyzing statutes, decisions, legal articles, codes, documents and other data;
• Keeping cases organized by establishing and organizing files, meeting deadlines, documenting actions, inputting information into a file database and case management software;
• Mailing, faxing or emailing court documents to legal counsel, clients, witnesses, or court officials;
• Drafting legal documents, including pleadings, discovery, motions, and briefs;
• Communicating with clients, colleagues, judges, and others involved in the case;
• Evaluating findings and developing strategies and arguments in preparation for presentation of cases;
• Examining legal data to determine advisability of defending or prosecuting lawsuit;
• Presenting facts in writing and verbally to clients or to others.
Applications are due by Friday, March 17, 2023. Interested candidates are asked to submit their cover letter, resume and transcripts as one PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that
only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Northern Law LLP is a boutique law firm. We provide client-focused legal services in Sudbury and Northeastern Ontario, primarily in the areas of civil and commercial litigation, personal injury,
family law, employment law, criminal law, construction liens, insurance disputes, trademarks, copyright, wills, and estates (administration and litigation). We are trusted advisors, who provide strategic advice and value-added guidance. We pride ourselves on our commitment to access to justice, transparency, and our willingness to take on challenging cases.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com