Website City of Greater Sudbury
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Status: Permanent Position
- Initial Reporting Location: 10 Elm Street
- Eligible to Work from Home: No
- Section: Finance
- Division: Housing Operations
- Department: Community Development
Main Function: Reporting directly to the Manager of Finance, Greater Sudbury Housing Operations (GSHO), the Accounting Supervisor will assist the Manager of Finance, GSHO in managing and maintaining a system of internal financial controls and professional accounting policies, procedures and practices for the Division. The Accounting Supervisor will gather data, monitor and analyze revenue and expenses and prepare financial forecasts and reports based on historical, budgeted and forecasted results to facilitate decision making toward the achievement of the budget and strategic objectives. The position will supervise and provide support and direction to the finance department bargaining unit front line staff to ensure the effective administration of corporate budgeting, corporate financial reporting, administration of employee payroll and benefits, accounts receivable, accounts payable functions and other accounting function of the Greater Sudbury Housing Operations.
Duties: Under the general supervision of the Manager of Finance, Greater Sudbury Housing Operations
1. Directly supervise, monitor, direct and support department bargaining unit staff.
2. Perform payment authority on all disbursements, ensuring payments are properly authorized, timely, accurate and fulfil legislative obligations.
3. Complete monthly financial tasks such as bank reconciliations, regulatory reporting journal entries and account reconciliations.
4. Assist the Manger of Finance, GSHO by preparing monthly financial information and financial reports for Senior Management.
5. Provide support to direct reports resolving accounting and process issues as they arise.
6. Consolidate and analyze financial data.
7. Prepare, analyze and submit the internal revenue and expense budget.
8. Monitor and analyze the monthly and year to date expenditures.
9. Monitor and analyze the monthly and year to date revenue.
10. Assist in the preparation of the annual budget and mid-year forecasts.
11. Monitor results against budget and forecast, identify pressures and recommend measures to address performance.
12. Conduct internal reviews to ensure compliance with policies and procedures and assess adequacy of internal controls. Report to the Manager of Finance, GSHO inconsistencies and instances of noncompliance.
13. Recommend financial policies, procedures and practices in support of an efficient and effective financial framework.
14. Monitor compliance with organizational policies, procedures and practices.
15. Provide recommendations to increase revenue, reduce costs and improve financial performance.
16. Recommend best business practices.
17. Assist with the development of business cases.
18. Prepare ad-hoc reports, as required.
19. Provide financial support and analysis to department Managers for cost savings initiatives.
20. Recommend plan of action to address financial pressures.
21. Assist with the annual external audit.
22. Monitor inventory and assist in the implementation of an inventory control framework.
23. Assist with the management of investments.
24. Evaluate capital expenditures and long-term capital reserve requirements
25. Participate in the management on call rotation after office hours.
26. Respond to major emergencies after office hours.
27. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
28. Perform other related duties as required.
Education and Training:
University degree in a related discipline (e.g. Accounting, Business Administration, etc.) from a recognized University with Canadian accreditation.
A professional accounting designation (CPA) or a professional accounting designation in progress.
Additional education initiatives to update and expand competencies.
Over two and one half (2½) years up to and including five (5) years of related experience (e.g. budgeting and accounting).
Budgeting and accounting with reference to municipal finance.
Applicable legislation and related regulations.
Current and emerging management issues within CGS as they affect the Division.
Best practices within areas of responsibility.
Horizontal linkages to other relevant governmental levels and services as well as the private sector.
To understand and meet the needs of customers.
To prepare operating and capital budgets for the Division.
Translate CGS’s vision for other both within and outside CGS.
Align systems to facilitate better service for the citizens of CGS.
Link programs, services and policies of the Division to broad policy objectives of the organization.
Balance conflicting demands from stakeholders.
Respond quickly to emerging opportunities or risks.
Provide a stabilizing influence with the Division.
Mental and physical fitness to perform essential job functions.
Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
French verbal skills highly desirable; written skills an asset.
May require the use of a personal or CGS vehicle on CGS business. Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver’s license, have an acceptable driving record, and personal insurance coverage.
Provide, at own cost, a Vulnerable Sector Check.
Note: A Vulnerable Sector Check will be requested by the Hiring Manager should you be the candidate of choice. Please do not submit your Vulnerable Sector Check with your application
For more information on leadership competencies, please refer to our website: www.greatersudbury.ca/jobs.
Résumés quoting job posting number EX22-1116 are invited and will be received by the City of Greater Sudbury’s Human Resources and Organizational Development Division, by e-mail at email@example.com or fax at 705-688-3979, for the above noted position until 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, October 5, 2022. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered.
All City of Greater Sudbury employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City’s mandatory Vaccination Policy. Please do not submit your proof of vaccination with your resume. This information will only be required if you are selected as the candidate of choice. For more information, please visit our website at www.greatersudbury.ca/jobs.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process you must advise the Hiring Manager. The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and are happy to hire qualified (including education credential) applicants from anywhere. In order to hire a candidate one must be legally entitled to work in Canada, with legally entitled being defined as having all of the necessary paperwork processed, approved and responded to, by way of a work permit being issued and received. Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org