Website Kina Gbezhgomi Child & Family Services
Full- Time Permanent Position
The Legal Assistant is responsible to coordinate the provision of legal services as directed by Agency Legal Counsel. The Legal Assistant will support the coordination of agency legal services by preparing relevant legal documentation and correspondence. The successful candidate will conduct legal research, assisting with trial preparation along with service and filing of court documents. Prepare disclosure and access to personal information requests according to legislated timelines.
Education & Experience
- Law Clerk, Legal Assistant or Paralegal Diploma;
- Minimum two years’ work experience in a legal capacity;
- Ability to speak the Anishinaabe language a definite asset.
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of the Child, Youth and Family Services Act, the Children’s Law Reform Act, the Family Law Rules, other relevant legislation, regulations, Ministry standards, and agency policies and procedures;
- A thorough understanding of the agency’s values, service philosophy and objectives;
- Knowledge, respect and practice of the Anishinaabe culture; understanding of cultural competencies;
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to, the integration of principles of: equity, justice, non-discrimination and accessibility into practice, service delivery and team relationships;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Frontline, CIMS and Penlieu;
- Must be able to work flexible hours;
- Must have a valid driver’s license and possess own vehicle;
- Must be willing to authorize a “Vulnerable Sector Screen and Criminal Record Search”; and, sign an “Oath of Confidentiality”;
- Must have firm understanding of the functioning and dynamics of Anishinaabe families and child care principles;
- Ablility to speak Anishinabemowin is a definite asset; or be willing to learn;
- Must be willing to participate in cultural activities, events and circles for the acquisition of cultural competence.
Applicants are encouraged to visit our website at www.kgcfs.org/employment to review the full job description. KGCFS offers competitive wages, a generous benefit package, and OMERS pension plan. Please submit your application marked “Confidential –Legal Assistant – Sudbury”. Include in your application a cover letter, resume, and (3) three reference letters – two (2) employment related from recent employers. Please also detail in your application: education, employment experience, and cultural participation.
Applications are accepted and in the following order of preference: by email, fax, or in person, at
Human Resources – Confidential
Child Well Being Worker – Sudbury/Island
Kina Gbezhgomi Child and Family Services
Main Office – 98 Pottawatomi Avenue,
Wikwemikong, Ontario P0P 2J0