Taught by certified YMCA instructors, our swimming lessons will give you lifelong skills to help you be safe in and around the water. Swim lessons are available for an additional cost. Purchase your lessons with our online portal!
Our swim lessons include:
- An introductory class for babies/toddlers and parents. Children and parents will learn to be comfortable in and around water, learn basic water safety skills, and have fun while being active. Every child must have one parents in the water for our classes. Child must be able to hold their head up independently.
- Bobber: This beginner level focuses on safety, entering and exiting the pool, progression for submersion and short swims, assisted floats and propulsion.
- Floater :At this level, children learn deep water awareness, pool rules, how to wear a personal floatation device (PFD), assisted jumps into the water, unassisted bobs, blowing bubbles, and retrieving objects.
- Glider :This intermediate level introduces deep water activities and front and back swims to a distance of 5m.
- Diver: In this intermediate level, children continue to develop deep water skills, work on arm action and increase front and back swim distances to 10m.
- Surfer :This advanced level explores diving, surface support, creative pool entries and extends swim distances to 15m – 25 m.
- Jumpers: In this advanced level, children further refine front and back crawl to distances of 25 – 50m, deep water activities and skills are explored.
- Otter: This beginner level focuses on safety, entering and exiting the pool, progression for submersion and short distance swim of 5m, assisted floats and propulsion.
- Seal: This beginner level introduces deep water jumping, breath control and surface support. Participants continue to develop floats, glides and distance swim of 10m.
- Dolphin: Building on what was learned in Seal, the child spends more time in deep water. Endurance in increased to distances of 15m for front and back swim. Front crawl is introduced.
- Swimmer: In this level, participants progress to treading water for 60 seconds, front crawl for 25m distance, and are introduced to resuscitation.
- Star 1: Continuing on from Swimmer level the participant will work on developing their front crawl to the intermediate standard and back crawl to initial standard. Endurance will be developed as the participant works toward completing a 75m swim. Prerequisites include having to demonstrate skills from the YMCA Learn to Swim program.
- Star 2: Participants continue to develop front and back crawl as well as elementary backstroke. Front crawl and back crawl starts are learned in this level as is headfirst sculling. Breaststroke is introduced.
- Star 3: Participants continue to develop front and back crawl as well as elementary backstroke. Front crawl and back crawl starts are learned in this level as is headfirst sculling. Breaststroke is introduced. Building endurance and perfecting strokes. Participants are required to complete a 300 m endurance swim. Front crawl and back crawl are at advanced standard while elementary backstroke is at intermediate standard and breaststroke is at initial standard. Foot first sculling and back crawl turn are learned.
- Star 4: Participants learn about drowning prevention, develop higher level rescue skills and build further endurance.
- Star 5: While working on increasing endurance, participants are introduced to sidestroke. Other strokes are being developed as well. The breaststroke start and turn as well as the front crawl turn are introduced at this time. Surface dives and synchro skills are at the heart of this level. Endurance is now a 500 m swim.
- Star 6: Advanced synchro skills and some water polo skills are learned at this level. As well some unique swim strokes are introduced like waltz crawl, inverted breaststroke and double over arm backstroke. Participants continue to develop their endurance with a 600 m swim.
- If you are looking to learn better technique, or if you want to learn to swim from the beginning, one of our YMCA Swim Instructors will help you progress in the pool. Available for members only, ages 13 years and up. Registration is not required.
Learn to swim or master a stroke. These lessons are taught in a group.
Level 1: This class is open to beginners looking to become comfortable in the water.
Level 2: This class is open to adults who can swim 20 m or one full length of the pool. The purpose of this class would be to improve strokes.
Level 3: Open to adults who are comfortable swimming 200 m. These lessons are for adults who are looking to improve speed and efficiency.